Fanlobbus Parish (Dunmanway)

Fanlobbus Fan Leaba Ois (slope of the fawns bed)

The surrounding district was formerly known as Gleann-nacroim_ Gleann Abha Croim (glen of the winding river). The name is no longer in use. The modern town of Dunmanway was founded in the closing years of the 17th century by Sir Richard Cox where he established the woolen and cotten industries, encouraging the groth of flax and the improving of the roads. A century later a descendent of Cox contributed towards the founding of a Catholic church in the town

Seeing that here only in West Cork is the prefix Dun retained as an inland name, although quite common in place names along the coast.Mr. Jeremiah O Mahony surmised here was the original Dun-Coba, the unidentified residence of the King of Ui Eachach.


Goulacullin(1429acres) Gabhal a<Chuilinn_ Forked place of the holly. In the centre is Barrboy_Barr Buidhe (yellow sumit) on which are remains of a prehistoric dwelling, beehive shaped and probably thached.

Annees (455acres)  Eanaige_Marches, fens.

Cullenagh (824acres) Cuileannach- Holly place, holly place, holly growth. At the north side of Nowen Hill-  Cnoc na n-Abhann (hill of the rivers).The Bandon, Clodagh and Mealagh Rivers have their source here. The Clodagh flows into the Ilen. On this hill also is Leaba Dhiarmuda-Dermod and Grania's bed, while at the north east is Cullenagh Lake fringed on the western side by Derreenlougha Wood-Doirin a' Locha (little wood of the lake). At the east side is a stone alighnment.

Pookeen (449 acres) Puicin- Little eminence.

Sillahertane (466 acre) Saileachartan- Willow Plantation

Milane (1034acres) Maoileann- Little bare eminence. Here dwelt John Gilman whose house was raided in 1796 and as a consequence of which Tadhg na Samhna Mc Carthy was excecuted.

Derryduff (519acres) Doire Dubh- Dark oakwood.

Clashnacrona East (181acres) Clais na Cruaine- Hollow of the reddish land, of thr dun coloured place. It might read Clais na Crodhanna- Vale of the pens or enclosures. Here is Glounda Wood


Clashnacrona West (287acres)


Inch East (587acres) Inse_River inch, on thr Sally River (Dirty). At the west side is Comeraportera Glen_Cumar a<Phortaire (valeof the hummer or lillter). The stream provides the music.


Inch West (295acres)

Coolkellure  (546acres) Cuil Cealluire- Recess of the graveyard. Near Coolkellure Lake at north is an old graveyard. At the west side is Coolkellure  Wood while at south is Dairy Wood. The townland was in fact well wooded.

Carrigskully (385acres) Carraig Scoilighte- Split rock  The name  Splitrock is ometimes used locally. At north is Carrigskullihy Wood. At west side is Carrignacannon-Carraig na gCanon. (rock of the canons)

Dromdrastil (1161acres) Drom Dreas Choill- Ridge of the bramble thicket. It might read Drom Dres Choill- Ridge of the battlewood. At the southside is Dromdrastil Wood

Farnanes (372) Fearnain_-Alder- growing places. At the northside is Farnannes Wood while at the south is Dreenwanish Wood- Doirin na Mainise (little wood of the spears or spear handles)

Derrynacaheragh (427acres) Doire na Cathrach- Oakwood of the stone fort . Portion of the ruin  still remians

Derragh (787) acres Darach- Place abounding in oaks. At eastside is Derragh Wood. At the north is a ring fort

Keenrath (487acres) Caoin Rath- Smooth or polished fort. In the centre is a fine ring fort from which the townland takes its name

Inchireagh(301acres) Inse Riabhach- Grey or cold river inch. At the westside is Carrignagat-Carraig na gCat (rock of the cats), wild cats probably

Togher (660 acres) Tochar- Causeway, raised road through bog. At the south side are ruins of Togher Castle of the Mc Carthy Glas which was built about 1590 by Tadhg an Fhorsa Mc Carthy on the foundations of an earlier structure. The Mc Carthy Glas derive their name from Cormac Glas, a descendant of the Tadhg an Fhorsa. Teampull is the name applied to an old graveyard in the Townland. A penal day chapel also existed here. Couragh Well-Cabhrach (health giving), at which 'rounds were performed , is at the westside. Donal na Buile, a famous Mc Carthy poet , lived here until the 18th century, In the Townland was born, in 1836, Canon John Lyons, historian.

Moneyreague(720 acres) Muine Reidh- Smooth or clear shrubbery. It is  Muine Ui Riabhaidh- O Rey's thicket, according to Canon Lyons. At the southside is a large ring fort

Dromdeegy (396 acres) Drom Dige- Ridge of thr trench or dyke. In the centre is a ring fort.

Cooranig (396 acres) Cuar Eanaigh- Round hill of the marsh or swamp. At the north side is Poulnaberry Bridge- Poll na mBiorai (pool of the reeds)

Keelraheen (415 acres) Caol a Raithin- Marsh of the bracken (Caol a ' Raithin - Marsh of the Bracken. A ford at the west side of the Bandon River is termed- Aghnacloghatee-  Ath na gloch Tighe (fort of the , closely-set stones)

Mallabracka (333acres) Mealla Breaca- Striped or variegated mounds. The southside is termed  Beaghagaha Wood covrers almost one third of the townland. Beaghagaha - Beitheach Gatha (birch wood of the spear), used probably fo making spear handles. A nearby slope is called Leaca na Seirsineach- Hillside of the archers. In the townland is the place of Sam Maguires birthplace  Irish Patriot who died in 1927

Coolsnaghtig (614acres) Cul Sneachtaidh- Back or slope of the snow. With a northern slope snows probably remained. Here lived and died  Donal na Tuile, a poet  and bard of Tadhg an Duna Mc Carthy of Togher . He was the last chief Bard of Carbery and he died about 1732. The leacht or burial mound is  pointed out.

Shiplough (417 acres) Cluain na Luimge- Plain of the encampment. Shiplake is the local name. A lake called Ship Lough is at the south side near which is Ship Rock  and a ring fort. Carrigaphuca - Carrig a ' Phuca (pooka 's rock) is at the westside.

Coom(455acres) Cun- Valley or Glen hollow between the hills. At the west side is Lackue Wood- Leaca Eo ( slope of the yew tree)

Inchanadreen (236 acres) Inse an Doirin- River inch of the little wood. Inse an Draighin- Inch of the blackthorn, according to Canon Lyons. Inchanadreen Wood is at the north side.

Derrynasafagh (416) Doire na Samthach- Wood of the pike or spear handles

Clontyquirk(277acres) Cluainte Cuirc - Corc's plains This may refer to Corc, grandson of Laoghaire.

Dromleena (696acres) Drom Line - Ridge of the flax. It might read Drom  Leana - Ridge of the lawn or field, or possibly of the swampy ground . At the east side is a ring fort. At the south is Commernamalla Wood- Cumar na Mala (valley of the hill-brow)

Kilbarry(1231 acres) Cill Barra- Church of St Finnbarr, church dedicated to St Finbarr. At north- east are church ruins and graveyard with the burial places of the c Carthys, lords of Gleannacroim. Close by is Tobernadihy - Tobar na Daibhche (well of the hollow) where 'rounds were performed. At the west side is a ring fort called  Poulnacahera- Poll na Cathrach (hollow of the stone fort). In the townland was Cox's Manor House. Sir Richard Cox was born in Bandon in 1650 and became  Lord Chancellor of Ireland and Speaker of the English House of Commons. He died here in 1733. At the southside is Milleeny Wood- Millini (little Knolls).

Cloonties East (128acres) Cluainte Ui Dhubhagain and Cluainte Ui Mhongain- Duggan's and Mongans  plains. These were old  Corca Laidhe surnames.

Cloonties West (180acres)

Garranes (542 acres)  Garrain- Groves, clusters of trees. An older spelling is Garanetonreigh- Garran Toin Riabhaigh(grove of the grey or cold bottom land). At  the west side is the large Garranes Lake.

Maulanimerish (623 acres)  Meall an Imris- Mound of strife or contention. It might  mean the mound of competition  as a large dance platform  was on its summit. At the west side is  Gloundha- Glean Damh- (glen of the bards)

Knockeenboy (264 acres) Cnuicin Buidhe- Little yellow hill, with furze blossom, presumably. At the westside is a ring fort.

Shean(63 acres) Siodhan- Hilock, fairy knoll. A ring fort on the summit has been levelled.

Cappadineen(106 acres) Ceapach Ui Dhuinnin- Dinneens plot. Dinneen was the name of a literary family  of Corca  Laidhe , and who later became historians  to the Mc Carthy More. It might read Ceapach a' Dinin- Plot of the little cover or shelter.

Kilronane West (564acres) Cill Ronain- St Ronans Church. It is sometimes written  Cill Mhor Ronain- St Ronans great church

Kilronane East (478 acres) At the west side is a ring fort

Mohona (425 acres) Magh a' Chonnaidh- Plain of the wood or firewood. Here are  Mohona Lough and Lough Nadrippal- Loch na dtriopall(lake of the clusters of rushes) At the south side is Mohona  Wood.

Garrybaun(91 acres) Garrdha Ban- White Garden.

Maugh(86acres) Magh-  plain , level land (probably part of a name) It might read  Macha - Lawn or enclosure, or perhaps  night field or cattle.

Tonafora(173acres) Tuath na Foithre-Tract of land of the forest or swamp.

Underhill(31acres) Bun an Chnuic- Base of the hill. A souterrain containing ogham stones was discovered in 1967.

Brookpark(82acres) Pairc a'tSrutha- Field of the brook or stream.

Dunmanway North(337acres) The irish version is Dunmaonmhuighe, but Mr Jeremiah O' Mahony, an authority on irish placenames, was adament that the mid syllable was 'maan' and not 'maon' About a mile west of the town is the townland of Maugh,meaning a plain, while at the east side is another Maugh Inse (Manch). It seems reasonable, then to infer that the Maugh on which Dunmanway lies should be termed the Meadhon-Mhagh or centre plain. Here stood a castle of the Mc Carthys, built in the late 15th century. It was demolished to supply stones for the errection of a flour mill as well as for part of the town. The name survives in Castle Street in Dunmanway Town. It was the chief residence of the Mc Carthy Glas. In Dunmanway Parish Church is a tablet: 'Cacred to the memory of Cormac Mc Carthy, son of Felim, son of Tadhg an Duna, last chieftain of Gleannacrroim and of his wife, Angelina, a daughter of Randal Oge O' Hurley of Ballinacarriga Castle. In this parish church also is a tablet O'Hurley of Ballincarriga Castle. In this parish church is also a tablet to the memory of the Tipperary-born priest, Fr James Doheny of Ballingarry, who was Parish Priest of Dunmanway for forty-nine years, and who died in 1866. He built three churches in the parish. He was a relative of Michael Doheny. The name, Doheny, appllies to all residents of Dunmanway and its environs, and commemorates this zealous pastor. A brewery was established in Dunmanway in 1831. There were two bolting mills in the town and two tanyards.

Dunmanway South(77 acres)

Darkwood(70acres) Cill Dorcha- Dark wood. At eastside was a bleach mill.

Coorycullane (202acres) Cuair Ui Choileain_ Collins round hill.

Demense(279acres) Fearannas- Estate ,landed property

Derreens(364acres) Doirini- Little oakwoods. Extensive oak forests existed here.

Derrylahan(508acres) Doire Leathan- Broad oakwood. It might read Doire leacan-wood of the slope. At the southside is Mount Gunnery- Meall gConai(mound of the paths)Canon Lyons wrote it Cnoc na gConallach- Hill of the dogs or wolves. Present Local name is Yew Tree Hill. According to Bennet (history of Bandon) here grew a remarkable speciman of old Irish yew, and its bulk was such that at a distance of two yards from the ground it had a ciircumference of eighteen feet. A boulder on its south side is called An Marcach- The rider.

Gortanure (303acres) Gort an Iubhair- Field of the yew tree. At the southside in the Bandon River is Poulaglor- Poll a' Ghloir (hole of the noise) from a cataract probably or a whirl.

Neaskin(398acres) An Eascain- Marsh or quagmire. At west side is Neaskin Lough. At east side on the Caha River is Poulaclochan- Poll a'Chlochain (deep spot of the stepping stones)

Ardcahan(823acres) Ardcahan (823acres) Ard Ceachann- Height of the cliff-ledge or precipice. At south is Clashnagallagh- Clais na gCoileach(vale of the woodcock), and  Inchicahan Gearagh- Inse Ceachann Gaorthadh (inch of the river bed of the Caha River) At extreme south on the river is Poulnalicky- Poll na Lice (Flag covered hole) The townland is belonging to the Hurleys of Ballinacarriga.

Kilmalooda(156acres) Cill Mo Luada In the centre is a disused burial ground.

Lisheenleigh (463acres) Lios Ainleithe- Anleith's fort. Anleith was a Cineal Laoighaire chieftan.

Behagullane(811acres) Beitheach a' Ghallain- Birchwood of the standing stone. Two ring forts are in the townland. At  the north east  is  Ahanason Bridge- Ath na Siuin (ford of the music), babbling brook probabl. A number of gallons are here. At the southside is Carrigacaha- Carriaig a 'Chatha(rock of the battle.

Ahakeera(621acres) Achadh Caoireach- Field of the sheep, sheep fold. At west side are remains of a castle of the O' Crowleys, the only O, Crowley castle standing in West Cork. This district was the scene of a fight between the O Learys of Iveleary and the Mc Carthys following a cattle raid by the former. A turnpike was at the crossroads near Ahakeera school. The name ,Pike Cross remains. At the extreme south is Foilmore Faill Mhor (big cliff) A southterrain was discovered in1974 . At the eastside are Geara Bridge and Geara Cross roads-

Glann (396 acres) Gleann Beal Atha Chuinn-       Glen of the fords mouth. Near the south of the border is a large        ring Fort

Shanagh(364acres) Sean Achadh Old field. It might read Sonnach- Palisade or bulwark,. At the eastside is a ford,Agnalogh- Atha na gCloch (ford of the stepping stones)

Coolenagow(185acres) Cuilin na gCabha- Little corner of the caves Cuilin a 'Ghabha  Angle of the smith, according to Joyce

Knockaduff(334 acres) Cnoc Achadh Duibh- Hill of the black or dark field.

Dromerk( 279 acres)  Drom Eirc- Erks Ridge This was a n old Corca  Laidhe personal name. It might read  Drom Arc - Hill of the hunting horns. Here are two ring forts. It is Written  Dramceirce in 1659 Census.

Knockduff(212acres) Cnoc Dubh- Black or Dark Hill. At the west side n the Bandon River, At the west side is  the Bandon River is Poulataggart- Poll a'tSagairt(priests Pool) It may have been a private fishing pool  reserved for the priests.

Gurteenasowna(510 acres) Goirtin na Sabhna- Little field of the savin. At his brothers residence here at Lakelands Died Fr Doheny in 1866. At Southside is Gearranbaun- Gearan Ban (white incline) where fairs were held.

Acres(276 acres) Na hAcrai- Acres. The name is sometimes applied to a townland in which the fields  were divided into acres. Here was born Fr Arthur O Leary Capachin, in 1729. He died in London in 1802

Ballyhallwick(574 acres) Baile Shebhach was a Cineal Laoighre chieftan and fourth in descent from Laoighre

Milleenanannig (448) acres Millin an Eanaigh Little knoll of the marsh.

Moreagh(261 acres) Magh Riabhach- Grey or cold plain. Bealaboy- Beal Atha Buidhe (mouth of the yellow ford) is a ford on the Bandon River between this townland and Nedinagh West. It was noted for its great fair which was sometimes called Aonach Randal Og(Randal Oge s fair) from charter granted by James 1 to Randal Og O Hurley in 1615 to hold a fair there. Two ring forts are in the Townland.

Nedinagh East (426acres)  Nead an Fhiaidh- Haunt or lair of the deer. Here at the north side of Fanlobbus graveyard-Fan Leaba Ois(slope of the fawns bed) in which are the ruins of the old parish church. Fanlobbus was in early times the centre of the parish as it holds the remains of a 7th century religious house. In the graveyard is a famine pit with the remains of some oof the victims of the famine of 1847. Randal Oge Hurley, who built Ballinacarriga Castle, is buried here. Fanlobbus church, which has been taken over for Protestant service, was closed in 1700 and a new place of worship was opened in the town by Sir Richard Cox. This served to 1821. Fearann na hAbhann - Land of the river, Fearann na gCeart- Land of rifgts and Land of rights and Fearann nagCaorach- Land of the sheep are old divisions of Nedineagh. At he north side is Toberabastia- Tobar a 'Bhaiste (well of the baptisms) In 1615 Tadhg an Fhorsa Mc Carthy was granted a patent to hold an annual fair here. At the other side was the fair green.

Nedineagh West(434 acres) At east side is a rough elevated spot called Lisbeagh - Lios Beitheach (birchwood fort)

Toom (475 acres) Tuaim- Hillock or funeral mound. Locally it is called Toames. At the north side is Clogheentoom-Cloichin Tuama (stoney spot of the burial mound)

Balteenbrack (433acres) Bailtin Breac- little spotted or striped place

Manch East (320 acres) Magh Inse- Plain of the river inch. At the south side is Poulnamuch Lough- Poll of the river inch. At the south side is Poulamuch Lough- Poll na Muc (hole of the pigs). In the centre is Manch House and on the east boundary is the Idle Bridge. The bridge was rendered unnecessary by the disuse of a mill stream.

Manch Middle (266acres)

Manch West (acres534) Much of Manch was owned by the family of Mc Carthy Lyragh. The name survives  in the area . Lyragh- Ladhrach means forked or hasty. At the south side on the Bandon River is Manch Bridge.

Maulashangarry (107 acres) Meall a tSeana - Gharrdha- Hillock of the old garden or enclosure.










Digg It!DZone It!StumbleUponTechnoratiRedditDel.icio.usNewsVineFurlBlinkList