Posted by Maisie Culbert on 25 June 2011 at 21:14
This magnificent Service contains a teapot. a water jug, a sugar bowl and a milk jug. It was made in London in the 1840s by William Kerr Reid, a renouned silversmith. Each piece has beautifully engraved patterns on it as well as the Cox Crest, similar to the Crest on the stone plaque in St. Mary's Church, which commemorates the wife of Sir Richard Cox, Lady Mary Cox. The teapot has an inscription on it which reads," Presented to the MISSES COX of the Manor House, Dunmanway, by the REV. JAMES DOHENY P.P. on the part of their tenants as a small token of their gratitude for the unsolicited renewal of their leases Feb. 1848."
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SILVER TEA SERVICE.
During the Famine of 1848 to 1850 Martha and Katherine Cox lived in the Manor House. They were the landlords of a significant area of Dunmanway. They provided the starving people with soup and dramatically reduced the rents of their tenants. To show their gratitude and appreciation to the Cox Sisters, the local community through Father James Doheny P.P. presented them with a Silver Tea Service.
The Tea Service was taken to America by members of the Cox Family when they emigrated. There it remained and was handed down through the generations. Recently three sisters Susan Morse, Kathleen Whipple and Lucenda Maurer, descendants of the Cox Family travelled to Ireland, bringing with them the Tea Service. They presented it on loan to the Historical Association at a Presentation Ceremony in the Famine Memorial Chapel at St. Anthony's Hospital. The Association is extremely grateful for the return of this beautiful treasure to Dunmanway. It will be displayed in the local Churches very shortly and will be on display in the Heritage Centre during Heritage Week in August. See Photo Gallery to view the Silver Tea Service.